Getting Ready for a Newborn Session
*How to best prepare yourself & baby for success!*
- An hour before your session start time, please allow your baby to get "milk-drunk". That means, don't necessarily time/limit how long you are feeding. Let them eat as much as they want until they are completely satisfied. Change their diaper, and swaddle loosely in neutral fabric that we can start the shoot in. If you have a hat or headband that is a "must", you can also put this on them before they fall asleep.
- After feeding/changing, begin to rock to sleep with lights on. Noisemakers are great for this, along with a pacifier (for some kiddos).
- Get the house hot! And I mean this literally. Your baby will be fast asleep, swaddled, happy. But the second you start undressing them, they notice. Unless… the room is warm. Try setting your heater or letting the room get between 80-83 degrees. Yes, we will be sweating, but naked baby will be content and hopefully passed out while we try to change outfits/poses, etc.
- Mom & Dad, ready yourself to be in some images at the very end of shoot. My main goal is to capture your baby sleeping. Only after we get those sleeping shots will we attempt the family photos, but I still want you to be ready for this. Even if we as women don't feel pretty because 1) you just had a baby and 2) because you are exhausted and sleep-deprived. Believe me, you are perfect. And your son/daughter will love every image from this period of time where they get to see you holding them. It's priceless.
- Relax. As the photographer and baby-poser during this shoot, I will be moving baby around and you just need to be nearby to possibly help watch, grab pacifier, etc. Baby knows Mom's smell, and sometimes just smelling that milk will wake them back up. I will help take care of everything if you let me. It's my joy and my job. I love what I do.